- What is the difference between traditional and gestational surrogacy?Fairfax Surrogacy specializes in Gestational Surrogacy. Gestational carriers, also known as gestational surrogates, are by far the most popular option for those who choose surrogacy to build their family. Gestational surrogates are not genetically related to the child that they carry. Instead, modern technology allows the gestational surrogate to carry a genetically unrelated fetus through the use of the intended mother’s eggs or eggs from a donor. Traditional surrogacy is when the surrogate not only carries the child but also uses her eggs to create the embryo. This means she is the biological mother who carries the child with the intention of all parentage rights being given to the intended parent(s) upon birth. Because of the traditional surrogate’s biological connection to the baby, traditional surrogacy raises many legal and medical concerns. If you are interested in this route, please proceed with tremendous caution.
- How much does surrogacy cost?To put it simply, surrogacy can be expensive. For instance, in the United States, the surrogacy process may cost between $100,000 and $150,000. However, there are many ways to make surrogacy more affordable. Several financing options are available that you and your partner can compare to determine what will work best for you and your financial situation. What sets us apart from other surrogacy agencies is that we actively try to help reduce any fear and uncertainty surrounding potential costs by offering flat fee packages that allow you to budget with no hidden surprises.
- What is the typical timeline for the surrogacy process?We know this is an exciting time that sometimes warrants meticulous scheduling and planning. Uunfortunately, it’s difficult to pinpoint how long the surrogacy process will be for you. It’s different for every family. There are many factors that must be considered, so there is no fixed timeline for when you can expect each stage of the process to be completed. Usually, however, it’s a good idea to set a date range of 15-18 months from when you first sign up with us to when you have a child. This period could be shorter or longer, though, depending on your specific situation, and some steps of the process may be completed faster than others. Regardless, we are here for you throughout your entire journey. We strive to make this experience as clear and transparent as possible.
- What does the gestational surrogate screening process look like?Typically, these are the most important requirements that are needed to become a gestational surrogate:
- Be between 21 and 42 years of age
- Have a body mass index (BMI) that is less than or equal to 30
- Live in a state that allows surrogacy
- Be a legal resident of the United States
- Have given birth at least once
- Must have been full-term, uncomplicated pregnancy, and birth
- Five or fewer deliveries
- Two or fewer Caesarian sections
- Not actively receiving government assistance.
- Be able to provide full medical history, including on past pregnancies
- Have support from family
- Be able to travel for screenings and related health procedures
- Who is a Surrogate/Gestational Carrier?A woman can be a gestational surrogate if they fit the criteria above. However, navigating trying to find a surrogate on your own can be difficult and stressful. Fairfax Surrogacy can help you find a surrogate that is right for you. The amazing women who decide they want to become gestational surrogates are moms themselves. They deeply understand what a gift motherhood is and want to help others have that experience. Our gestational surrogates are also committed and go through a detailed screening process to make sure they are healthy, both body and mind, to take on this life-giving journey. Regardless of how you choose to select your surrogate, Fairfax Surrogacy will support you every step of the way.
- Can I choose the surrogate that I match with?Yes, you can choose who you are matched with. We will work with you to figure out what kind of qualities or characteristics you want your surrogate to have. Once we identify potential matches, we will share them with you. You will get to decide if you would like to move forward with the selected surrogate.
- How long does it take to find the right match?It’s hard to say how long it will take to find the right match since there are so many factors to consider. Typically, it takes between two to twelve months to find the right match. It’s important you take your time during this step to make sure you have found the perfect match to share your journey with.
- How does insurance coverage work?We will review your gestational carrier’s medical insurance to determine which, if any, aspects of the surrogacy are covered. In the interest of preventing unforeseen expenses for the gestational carrier, they may need to change or expand their health insurance coverage, which Fairfax Surrogacy will purchase for them.
- Does your team have experience in LGBTQ+ family building?We absolutely do. We recognize that parenting comes in many different forms and that families are made up of many different kinds of people. We understand the unique needs of the LGBTQ+ community and LGBTQ+ families, and we pride ourselves on being able to provide valuable family planning services to them.
- Can I pursue surrogacy as a single parent?Yes; we work with intended parents who come from all types of family structures.
- Who chooses the OB/midwife?Usually, the surrogate will select the OB or midwife. In most cases, surrogates prefer to use the same health care provider who assisted with their previous birth(s). Additionally, a surrogate’s health care insurance tends to align best in her own city or state.
- Can I or my partner be present at the birth?Many intended parents want to be part of the labor and delivery process. However, whether or not you can be present at the birth depends on the policies of the hospital or birthing center where your surrogate will deliver. It will also depend on what your surrogate is most comfortable with. Many surrogates welcome intended parents to be part of the birthing experience. After the surrogate gives birth, the baby will stay with you or in the nursery; however, most hospital policies do not permit a child to be released from the hospital until the gestational surrogate also has been released.
- What does the legal process entail pre- and post-birth?A lot of intended parents view the legal process to be the most stressful or overwhelming part of the surrogacy process. However, we are here for you, and will work closely with your attorney to ensure the legal aspects are attended to and are in the best interest of everyone involved. You can feel more at ease in knowing that we will support you every step of the way.
- Why choose Fairfax Surrogacy?
Understanding and Compassion. Our agency was created with you in mind. We have years of experience working with other surrogacy agencies, giving us the knowledge and understanding needed to help you and support you throughout every step of the surrogacy process. Our experience has allowed us to curate a process that is supportive, transparent, efficient, and inclusive.
Our Innovative Pre-Screening Process. What separates us from other agencies is that we have a comprehensive and high-quality screening process that allows us to create strong matches between surrogates and intended parents more effectively. We offer a pre-screening process that is unlike any other agency, as our process includes elements that most other agencies leave out. This ensures that you will select someone who has already been thoroughly vetted and approved by our heightened quality standards. Our pre-screening process includes a thorough background check with the potential surrogate and her partner, followed by an interview and a comprehensive medical record review. It also includes a full health insurance and life insurance review and policy placement, a psychological assessment, and a full pre-pregnancy lab testing panel.
Financial Transparency. We realize that being able to pay for surrogacy is a hardship many families face. We want to make it easier for you by offering our services all inclusively at a fixed rate. This means that we handle all of the costs related to insurance, attorney fees, counselor, and escrow services. We also stay up to date on all balance statements to ensure that all participants are being compensated as agreed upon in a timely manner – all at no additional cost to you.
- How do I begin my surrogacy journey as an intended parent?Begin the first step of your surrogacy journey by requesting a no-cost consultation today.