Thinking about fundraising for your family? You probably already know by now, but using gestational surrogacy as a means to grow your family can be pretty expensive. Having a baby through surrogacy can cost tens of thousands of dollars, and most people do not have that much cash lying around. It can sometimes feel really discouraging to see those big numbers and dollar signs but fear not because there are many ways you can cut costs, save, and raise money so that you can achieve your dreams of growing your family through surrogacy.
Cutting costs and boosting income
When trying to figure out how to pay for surrogacy, there are two main lines of thinking you’ll want to consider – cutting your expenses or increasing your income. There are a ton of ways to cut costs and add a little extra padding to your income and little by little, you may eventually find yourself in a better financial situation. Here are some ways you can come up with some extra money to save up for surrogacy.
Ways to cut your expenses
While it’s great to start doing things that add to your income, you would be doing yourself a disservice by not also coming up with ways to cut costs from your monthly expenses. Whether that be by canceling subscription services you don’t use anymore or by substituting those weekly Friday night dinners out with home-cooked meals, you may find yourself saving a lot of extra money. (Just be sure to stay and cut expenses you know you can stick to.) Here are some steps to get started:
- Create a Budget: Start by creating a detailed budget to track your income and expenses. Review your expenses carefully and identify areas where you can cut back. Look for non-essential items or services that you can reduce or eliminate to free up more money for your surrogacy savings.
- Minimize Discretionary Spending: Take a close look at your discretionary spending, such as eating out, entertainment, subscription services, and luxury purchases. Consider cutting back on these expenses and finding more affordable alternatives. For example, you can cook at home more often, explore free or low-cost entertainment options, and cancel unused subscriptions.
- Negotiate Bills and Expenses: Contact your service providers, such as internet, cable, and insurance companies, to negotiate better rates or explore discounts. Many providers are willing to work with customers to retain their business. You can also shop around for better deals on utilities, insurance, and other recurring expenses.
- Save on Shopping: When shopping for everyday items, consider using coupons, taking advantage of sales and promotions, and buying in bulk. Compare prices across different stores and consider purchasing generic brands instead of name brands. Additionally, try to avoid impulsive purchases and prioritize your surrogacy savings over unnecessary shopping.
Have a side hustle?
Look for opportunities to earn extra income to accelerate your savings. You can consider taking on a part-time job, freelancing or consulting in your area of expertise, or starting a side business. Direct any additional earnings towards your surrogacy savings to reach your goal faster.
There are dozens of ways you can make a little bit of extra money every month, and it can start adding up very quickly. You can make money selling things you no longer need or want (goodbye old panini press and DVD player, you’ll hardly be missed!). Go through your whole house and do a complete purge. You’d be surprised how much you can sell!
If you don’t want to sell things, you can also generate income by starting a side hustle. Think about what you’re good at. Maybe it’s photography, knitting or crocheting, graphic design, cutting grass — anything that you think you could get someone else to pay you to do.
Understand your existing benefits
Look into benefits provided by your employer. Take some time to explore your employee benefits package, and don’t hesitate to reach out to your HR department or benefits administrator for guidance. They’re there to help! Familiarize yourself with the sections that cover reproductive assistance and surrogacy to see what support your employer offers. Make sure to ask about any limitations or specific details, such as coverage for procedures, medications, or maximum reimbursement amounts. By knowing exactly what benefits are available to you, you’ll be better prepared to plan financially and make well-informed decisions.
RESOLVE has an excellent step-by-step guide on how to ask for family-building benefits at work.
Family building financing
There are a million ways you can borrow cash in this day and age. You could opt to take out a loan for surrogacy from your bank, or you could look into surrogacy-specific loan programs. You could also consider one of these options to borrow some extra cash to pay for surrogacy:
- Refinance your house with a cash-out
- Fertility-specific loans companies like MyEggFund, Future Family or CapExMD
- Get an equity line of credit on your home
- Borrow money from your 401(k) plan
Putting the “fun” into fundraising
So, maybe you’ve cut as many expenses as you can, sold all of your things, and considered taking out a loan but are still short on having enough money to finance your surrogacy journey. Don’t feel hopeless yet. There is still one way you can make your dreams happen: through fundraising! Fundraising can be a great solution to fill up your surrogacy fund, and here are a few ways you can do that:
- Get on social media and spread the word. There are many online fundraising platforms that you can use and spread the word via social media. One of the most popular is GoFundMe. You can start one of these fundraisers and share the link to your social media, encouraging people to donate (maybe with the promise of future baby cuddles).
- Involve the community. Get people to donate their old items to you and have a massive yard sale. Have a car wash or a bake sale. Do an online auction. Host something! Anything that you can involve your community in and raise some extra cash for a good cause.
Apply for Grants
When it comes to funding your surrogacy journey, applying for grants can be a valuable option to explore. These grants provide financial assistance to individuals or couples pursuing surrogacy, making your dream of starting or expanding your family more attainable. To begin the process, it’s essential to research and identify reputable organizations or foundations that offer grants for surrogacy. Once you’ve compiled a list of potential grant opportunities, carefully review their eligibility criteria and application requirements. Take the time to craft a compelling application highlighting your unique circumstances, aspirations, and the positive impact surrogacy will have on your life. Conveying your sincere dedication to this journey can increase your chances of receiving the financial support you need.
Transparent Pricing and Unparalleled Support
At Fairfax Surrogacy, we understand that the cost of surrogacy can seem daunting, but we’re here to help make your dreams a reality. With our commitment to transparent and affordable pricing through our flat-rate fee policy, you can have peace of mind knowing that there won’t be any unexpected expenses along the way. Our experienced team is ready to guide you through the surrogacy process and provide the support you need. Don’t let financial concerns hold you back from building the family you’ve always wanted. Contact us today to learn more about our surrogacy services and start your incredible journey toward parenthood. We’re excited to be a part of this special chapter in your life!